Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Water of Life Friends Church, Columbus

I attended the Water of Life Friends Church last Sunday with my wife. We tried it out because we were searching for Friends churches in the area to see what they were like out here. I grew up in the Friends church, so I always have a little bias towards them. This particular one was being pastored by Eric Biddle, a fellow Malone graduate. He was a senior when I was a freshman, and he led a chapel or two because he was Spiritual Life Director that year. I really looked up to him back then, so I figured it was a great opportunity to see what God has done with him.

The service was not what I was used to. What I saw was real people struggling with real problems. The entire church was maybe 30 people, but it was so real compared to the "churchiness" you find in the big rock-concert services. We prayed for everyone who had need, and we laid hands on them. It was pretty moving. It seemed like a lot of people had their struggles there. Eric and his wife were pregnant and were also waiting on an adoption to go through of a Guatamalan girl. They had waited so long for a child and were clearly at the end of their rope. Eric preached off of the "Ask, search, knock" passage and just talked about waiting for God to move. He talked about how his dad died of Lou Gehrig's disease even though they prayed for healing. Still, God gave him a vision of how his dad was healed in Heaven. I really felt like this was a church I could make a meaningful contribution to.

Now, I just have to pray for God to figure something out for me. I was going to try and get a youth ministry job, but obviously this place is too small for that. I could try to get a secular job to pay the bills and see if they'd be interested in letting me lead the ministry on a volunteer basis or something. I'll just have to ask God to move, because I can't just walk into the church and ask to take over the youth ministry. And maybe God has something else entirely for me. I mean, there's a part-time youth pastor position open at a Baptist church in Dublin. It's only 10 hours a week, though, so I'd have to get another job. All that, and I still haven't figured out what I'm doing at Ashland.

No comments: