Thursday, September 07, 2006

Friends in Columbus

I'm still having a hard time making friends in Columbus. Attending a small church doesn't help, even though I wouldn't have it any other way. Also, I don't really know my co-workers at work. There are a couple of guys there that I could probably be friends with if I tried, but they don't seem like good candidates for a meaningful friendship.

Sure, judge me if you want. Tell me I've got my standards too high. Maybe that's true. I had some really great friends when I lived in Canton, and any new friend has a lot to live up to. Still, I think I'm willing to compromise and everything. But these guys at work just seem to have their own things going on and everything. Plus, I think I'm out of practice at this whole friend-making thing. I remember it being so easy when I was in school.

I'm thinking about getting onto the Columbus Craig List and maybe getting a DS event started or something, as a way of finding some people to hang out with. Of course, the DS could skew a little young, so I'll have to deal with the kids running around. Maybe there's something else I could get started to meet some new people. Or maybe there's something already running that I could get involved in. And there's always the Columbus extension of Ashland. I'm sure there's a chance of meeting anyone there younger than 40.

2 comments:

Cheezer said...

Acqurining friends at a job is interesting territory - at least from my experience. I love the people I work with, but it would feel strange to me to hang out with them outside of work. Many of them do, and I go to group events when I can, but it never feels quite like friendship. The only place I've made friends since college are in my Bible study. That's probably a lot of the way it should be, but there has to be a place for non-Christian friends, too. Unfortunately, this comment has nothing to do with having "an answer." But, I just wanted to add my two cents, for what it's worth.

Uzziah said...

Thanks for posting. That makes a lot of sense, and that's pretty much been my experience. I'm not too skilled on the whole making friends thing outside of Christian friends anymore.